Engine oil can make or break your car’s performance. But how often should you change it, and what happens if you use the wrong oil? Here’s what you need to know.
What is engine oil?
Engine oil acts as a lubricant for your engine. Let’s go over why this matters.
- Engines have multiple moving parts. Without proper lubrication, these parts can rub against each other and wear out.
- When you’re driving, engines get hot. The oil prevents any one part of your engine from overheating.
- Most engine oils contain additives to help prevent corrosion within the engine components.
- Engine oil picks up dust particles and other debris before they enter the engine itself.
In other words, engine oil is crucial to keeping your car’s key parts in good working order.
How often should you change engine oil?
How often should you change your oil? It depends on the make and model of your vehicle.
- First, check your owner’s manual. It should specify when to change your oil.
- Don’t have your manual? Change your engine oil at least once per year.
If you’re in any doubt as to how often to change your oil, contact our team and we’ll give you some advice.
When should I change the oil filter?
Your oil filter does what the name suggests: it filters out contaminants from your engine oil. If the oil filter clogs up or wears out, particles can seep through and damage your engine over time.
It’s good practice to change your oil filter whenever you have an oil change because you won’t contaminate the new oil with residue from the old parts.
The good news? Oil filters are relatively inexpensive, and they don’t take long to replace.
Which oil should I use in my car?
It’s best if you use the oil recommended by your car manufacturer. Check your owner’s manual to see which oil grade and ACEA specifications they recommend.
- If you don’t use the right type of oil for your vehicle, you could damage your engine and key components like the oil filter.
- You can use “cheaper” oil brands if the specs are right, but don’t forget – you most often get what you pay for!
What happens if you don’t change your oil?
If you don’t change your engine oil or you use the wrong oil, a few things can happen.
- Parts of your engine may become too hot, which puts unnecessary strain on your vehicle.
- You might notice your car runs less smoothly.
- Eventually, engine components can warp or wear out completely.
It is far more expensive to repair engine parts – or replace an entire engine – than it is to change your oil frequently. So make sure you prioritise engine oil changes.
Book an oil change today
At Beachwheels Automotive, we provide a full range of auto services to keep your vehicle in great working order. For more information on how often to change engine oil, or to book an oil change, contact us today.